Hippocrates said, “All disease begins in the gut.”
And while this may not be 100% true for every disease in every person, more and more research shows that our gut (digestive system) has a bigger role in many diseases than we used to think. And we’re not just talking about heartburn, constipation, diarrhea, IBS, IBD, etc. We’re talking about all kinds of issues like allergies, pain, belly bloat, mood disorders, and nutrient deficiencies. Continue reading
Recipe (Probiotic-rich): Fermented Carrots
- 1 L warm water
- 4 tsp salt
- 4 carrots, medium, peeled, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, smashed (optional)
- *add dill, hot peppers, or any other ingredient you like for various flavors
- Make a brine by dissolving the salt in water.
- Place carrots into a clean canning jar, packing them in tight. Make sure to leave about 1 inch of head space at the top.
- Fill the jar with brine, making sure to cover the carrots completely. Weigh the carrots down to make sure they don't float (you can use a "fermenting weight").
- Close the jar and let it sit at room temperature for 1-4 days. The longer it sits, the more the flavor will develop. Feel free to open and taste.
- Serve & enjoy!
- Tip: Use this as a side dish, or even a snack.
These recipes are the property of Christina Lake Fitness
Say goodbye to traditional apple crisps full of white sugar, flour and butter. This guilt-free apple crumble has all the flavor you are going to need. Each serving even has 5 grams of fiber and contains healthy fats too. Dive in! Continue reading
Do you love your breakfast? Do you have a short list of “go-to” recipes? Do you need a bit of inspiration to start eating breakfast again and want to know what are the best 3 foods to include? Continue reading
Did you know that protein & veggies are two of the most important things you can add to your breakfast? Here’s an easy omelet recipe to try.
You knew there was a bit of an over-emphasis (borderlining obsession) about cholesterol, right? Before we jump into some myths let’s make sure we’re on the same page when it comes to what exactly cholesterol is. Continue reading
Have you given up on sleeping through the night? Are you feeling exhausted or “running on stress hormones” all day? If getting a good nights sleep is one of your personal priorities then you are in the right place. I have some great tips that I’ve tried (and an amazing recipe) for you that can make a big difference to the quality of sleep you are getting! Continue reading
Do you ever get bored of having the same old breakfast? I know I do. But it can be tough to find something that is not only quick, but nutritious too. Here’s a simple recipe to start your day off that you can make ahead of time. Continue reading
One of the things we can do to improve our cholesterol levels and overall health is to load up on greens! Here’s a homemade healthy salad dressing you can try, rich in vitamin C and healthy fats too! Continue reading
You totally want to ditch your scale, don’t you? You may have this weird kind of relationship with your “weight”. I mean, it doesn’t define you (obviously). What you weigh can matter but only to a certain extent. Let’s look at your waist circumference (well…you look at yours and I’ll look at mine). Continue reading